Jobs in Chile
ENGLISH LANGUAGE JOBS
- Teaching: See the ‘Teaching in Chile’ part of this page.
- Other: For this, you should check the following:
- Discover Chile, which posts lists of English-speaking jobs monthly.
- ‘Gringo’ Hostels, Hotels, Pubs, etc. regularly look for English-speaking staff
- Self-Employment: If you are interested in setting up your own business, the Irish Association of Chile can give emails of Irish Consultants based in Chile. See our website’s ‘Doing Business in Ireland’ section, for a list of organisations in Ireland that will help you to invest abroad.
SPANISH LANGUAGE JOBS
Teaching in Chile
Irish People with university degrees in teaching and/or another area
- Bilingual schools with full time opportunities include those of the Association of British Schools in Chile. A school with quite a few Irish teachers right now is The Grange School.
- There are also bilingual schools outside of this association, such as Saint George’s.
- Universities may also be an option for employment, although many opportunities are part-time only.
Other cases (with or without CELTA / TEFL)
- Having a CELTA or TEFL degree will broaden your opportunities. It doesn’t take much money and time to do, so it’s worth it. Even an online TEFL degree can help in this regard. They can be gotten at a 90% discount on websites like GroupOn for as little as €60.
- Institutes normally pay anywhere between 3.200 an hour, to 5.000, 6.000, 7.000, 8.000 and 12.000 an hour. So be careful. The bigger institutes are more likely to pay less.
- Private classes should be charged at at least 12.000 an hour. Some teachers charge anything between 15.000 – 25.000 an hour for such lessons as well
- Whether you work full time with an institute, or as a freelancer, is up to you. Full time work with an institute tends to be better as cancellations of classes are very frequent in Chile
- Many teachers spend years here on 3 month tourist visas… But a working visa does give much stability and takes away the necessity of travelling to Argentina every 3 months. It is FREE for Irish people (whereas the likes of British people must pay over $1,000 US Dollars).
English Institutes in Santiago
For more information including the pay rates of certain institutes, please contact the Irish Association of Chile.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (recommended by Irish Community members)
- email@example.com (recommended by Irish Community members)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (recommended by Irish Community members)
- email@example.com (recommended by Irish Community members)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (recommended by Irish Community members)
- email@example.com (recommended by Irish Community members)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (recommended by Irish Community members)
- email@example.com (recommended by Irish Community members)
Other Institutes (unknown or low payment rates)
- Insituto Britanico
- Cognitive English
- Sam Marselli
* It’s important to keep in mind that there are much less classes between December – February, because of the summer. The majority of institute-provided classes take place for 90 minutes.